About The FSC
The Film Study Center is Harvard's one center devoted to supporting artistic practice and creative work. It was founded in 1957 for the purpose of supporting work that records and interprets the world in images and sounds.
As such it sustains endeavors, from the ethnographic to the experimental, that explore and expand the expressive potential of audiovisual media, especially through nonfiction. To this end, it provides annual fellowships to students and faculty drawn from departments across the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and the University as a whole, and collaborates with the Radcliffe Fellowship Program to provide fellowships in Film, Sound, and New Media for makers from around the world. The FSC also regularly invites outstanding visiting filmmakers to Harvard to share their work with the University community.
Award-winning and in many cases classic works that have been produced over the years with the Film Study Center's assistance include John Marshall's The Hunters (1957), Robert Gardner's Dead Birds (1963) and Forest of Bliss (1985), Jan Lenica's Landscape (1974), Robb Moss' The Same River Twice (2003), Ross McElwee's Six O'Clock News (1997) and Bright Leaves (2003), Richard P. Rogers' DoHistory.org (2000), Peter Galison and Robb Moss’ Secrecy (2008), Gina Kim’s Never Forever (2007), Sharon Lockheart’s Lunch Break (2008) and Exit (2008), and Amie Siegel’s DDR/DDR (2008).
Established initially as a visual arm of Harvard's Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, in 1964 the Film Study Center relocated to the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts. In 1995, it moved to Sever Hall in Harvard Yard, where it remains an independent center serving students and faculty across FAS. The Film Study Center is the adminstrative home for the GSAS Secondary Field in Critical Media Practice (CMP) for PhD students at Harvard who wish to integrate media production into their academic work.
Work at the Film Study Center has been made possible both by its own endowment, the generosity of its benefactors, and grants that have been obtained for its projects from the National Science Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Endowment for the Arts, the MacArthur Foundation, the Guggenheim Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Rock Foundation, the Fidelity Charitable Foundation, the Norman Foundation, and the Billy Rose Foundation, among others.
Robert Gardner was Founding Director of the Film Study Center, and served as its Director from 1957 to 1997. Richard P. Rogers served as Director from 1998 to 2001. Lucien Castaing-Taylor has served as Associate Director from 2002 to 2008, and as Director since 2008. Ross McElwee served as interim Director in 2009-10. Currently, its Co-Directed by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Peter Galison, and its Assistant Director is Ernst Karel.
The Film Study Center
Co-Director (On leave, 2016 -17)
Co-Director (Director, 2016 -17)
Film and Video Technician
Advisory Committee 2015-16